Saturday, May 25, 2013

NuCanoe Classic Water Pump

Like many of you Classic owners, I was aware the Classic would retain water.  This can be a nuisance when you're using a dbl paddle or catching waves from the outboard.  Much larger boats give you more options for a bilge (water) pump.  In smaller boats, our options were limited.  I resolved to find a solution.


That's when I found the Sierra Tools Liquid Transfer Pump:

 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00318D7K8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see, for $12 dollars, you don't get a whole lot.  However, it only runs on batteries and is a fully self contained system.  Now, how to get it to work on the Classic.  Time to tear it up.  (LOL!)


The pump is actually a small fan in the bottom of the tube.  The fan is connected to the head by a small dbl wire.  The entire black tube was acting as the siphon.



 For the next step, I cut away the drainage tube and reattached it to the pump apparatus.


The only tricky part was making sure the attachment had a water tight fit.  PVC glue and silicone did the trick.  I took a piece of the black tubing I had cut off and wrapped it around the connection for added support.

You have the ability to cut the wire and extend the controls if necessary, (which I will do),  Now you can mount the head into one of the divit holes towards the back of the boat and face the drainage tube out.  I'm working on a bracket for that.

The pump works like a charm.  As advertised, it pumps from 4-5 quarts a minute.

Excellent find.

No comments:

Post a Comment